Saturday, February 25, 2012

Thoughts from Room 504

Its been a crazy 72 hours to say the least. I have experienced many firsts that I hoped I'd never get to experience in my lifetime but I have also experienced many "tender mercy's" from God through these experiences to.

Waking up Thursday to a pool of blood was one of those experiences I'd hoped to never have. I knew my baby was OK because she was moving but I was still terrified because I had no idea what was going on. I am so thankful that I work in the OB department of my local hospital. I was able to call ahead and let them know I was coming. My doctor just happened to already be there, and the girls had a room and the ultrasound machine already set up for me. With in 25 minutes of waking up I was there and they had started the process of diagnosing the issue.
My doctor did a quick ultrasound and saw the small tear from the placenta, gave my nurse some orders, and came back to finish taking a better peak with the ultrasound a little later. When he came back we (Nick, my Dr, and I) all thought it would best to get a second opinion with the ultrasound. Another Dr came in and looked at the ultrasound and immediately determined the same thing and that it would be safer if I was transferred to a larger hospital with an adequate NICU if my baby needed to be delivered early. They were going to send me to a hospital in Yakima that is only about 30 minutes away from Ellensburg but my Dr couldn't get a hold of any of the doctors he was comfortable sending me to there. He and the other Dr decided to send me to here to Swedish where they have an amazing NICU. I feel like the Dr's in Yakima not being available was God's way of making sure that me and our baby were sent where we are supposed to be. It was such a comfort that my friends/nurses cried and prayed with me. I was so nervous and scared of the unknown but their prayers and thoughts reassured me that everything would be OK. I was so grateful that my grandpa, brother Mitch and Nick were able to be there with me and give me a blessing before I headed to Seattle.
I had my first ambulance ride ever. Which could have been a terrifying ordeal in itself but one of the paramedics happened to be a wonderful family friend from church and the other paramedic Nick knows pretty well, as well as the EMT driving. It was nice to KNOW I was in good hands if anything scary would have happened along the way. They had lights on the whole trip and sirens when needed. The drive from Ellensburg to downtown Seattle takes most people 2 hours and we arrived there in about and hour and 20 minutes. They meant business by golly! I don't know how many of you have experienced an ambulance ride but let me tell you laying flat on a gurney, going who knows how many miles per hour on a bumpy freeway is extremely nauseating and a little scary, even if you know you are in good hands.
The Dr's, and nurses at Swedish have been amazing. The group of doctors taking care of me consists of 4 attending Dr's, and 8 Dr's doing their fellowships. I have met all four of the attendings, and at least six of the fellows and I haven't met a bad one yet. It's amazing that there are so many of them and they all seem be on the same page with everything. It's nice to not hear 12 different stories. My nurses have been so awesome! I know I am here for a reason if nothing else to meet lots of amazing new people.
On Monday I may be transferred to the university of Washington hospital if baby and I are stable enough. Only due to the fact that my insurance company is having a little bit of a fit about Swedish not being a "group health" hospital and UW is. I've got a good team here at Swedish fighting for me to stay and have my insurance continue to pay for our stay, so we'll see what happens. All I know is if I'm transferred there, it will be just one more thing that is in the Lords hands and I'll just have to trust that I am supposed to be there also. I know that UW is a great hospital too and it is Swedish hospital's biggest competitor.
Emotions have been a bit of a roller coaster since this whole experience started. The unknown, and what if's are terrifying. I can't help but worry about being so far away from my sweet Husband and Kenna. Our families have stepped up so much to help out with Makenna and taking care of our house while I'm away. We have the best families ever! Nick and Makenna are going to go stay with his parents in Gig Harbor for at least a few days so we are all on the same side of Snoqualmie pass and about an hour closer together.
From the sounds of things I'm going to be in the hospital until I deliver. The immediate goal is everyday I'm still pregnant is great. The short term goal is to make it to 32 weeks (2 1/2 weeks away) and the long term goal is to make it to 36 weeks and they will deliver her then. Please remind me in a couple of weeks if I start to get crabby of this statement: I can do anything for six weeks if it is for my baby. SHE WILL BE WORTH IT ALL!!!
My update for today is that things are stabilizing. So far today (knock on wood) my bleeding has continued to decrease and they turned the magnesium off for now. I am still on pretty strict bed rest but I can get up to use the bathroom which is nice. Everyday is a new story and I'm hoping things continue to look stable for the health of my little girl.
It's amazing to me how in times like these people come out of the wood work to pitch in and help. To also hear that there are literally prayers for me and baby coming from all over the world is a little mind blowing. Please continue to say prayers... and if you don't pray send positive energy our way. We'll take whatever we can get. :o) I love you all!
Between Nick, my mom and I we are going to try and post some kind of update everyday to share whats going on.

2 comments:

Nichole Gaertner said...

Hey Reba- my number is 360-217-7268 and we don't live too far from where you are. Give me a hollar if you'd like a visitor for a little bit to help ease the boredom. :) Still praying for you guys!!!

Jeni said...

Reba I am so sorry to hear what has happened and what you are all going through right now!! You are all in our prayers!