Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Happy Easter?

My "vision" of Easter morning went a little like this: the girls would wake up between 7:30 and 8:00 AM like they usually do, they would then check out their Easter baskets, eat breakfast and get ready for church and wear their new poofy pink dresses uncle Mitch bought them. We would go to church, have pictures with their cousins in their Easter duds, and then have dinner and Egg hunts with extended family. The day was going to be magical and the girls were going to have a great day.

I should have known the night before things weren't going to go as planned when the Easter bunny almost got busted putting baskets together when a certain 3 year old decided to wake up because she was thirsty. The Easter bunny quickly hid the gifts before the said 3 year old busted her. In the process of getting up, the 3 year old woke up the {almost} 1 year old. They were both originally in bed at a reasonable hour but then were up far too late after awaking at only 10pm. After the prolonged interruption the tired Easter bunny returned and finished her work before going to bed. She still had thoughts of Easter bliss in her head. 

 Well part of my day went as planned. Makenna woke up at 7:30 and Mailey at 8. They looked at their Easter baskets. Makenna was sleepy but happy.
Mailey was a little crabby at first but perked up when she played with her Easter goodies.

All was well until Makenna proceeded to yell "I have to go bathroom!" We made to the bathroom on time but she had diarrhea (TMI, I know). We recently found out that she is lactose intolerant so I assumed that the little bit of cheese on her taco from the night before must have been to much for her. That was mommy fail #1 of the day. We proceeded to get ready for church until we heard that sound, that awful sound, the one of your child throwing up. All. Down. The. Hallway. I got her cleaned up, took her temperature {100.9}, had her swish some water around in her mouth & spit, and gave her some zofran {miracle drug!} and later some tylenol when the zofran kicked in. Since she was running a fever I ruled out food poisoning and figured she had a virus that we would all soon get {lovely}. Nick and the girls stayed home from church and I went to sacrament meeting and dropped off the things I needed for primary before coming home. By the time I got home from church Makenna had perked up a bit and seemed to be feeling better. We opted to not share our germs with our extended family and stayed home from the big Easter egg hunt and dinner. Makenna thankfully didn't have anymore vomiting but she had diarrhea through out the day. She had mentioned that it hurt when she went potty, and even cried while sitting on the toilet. Mommy fail #2 I assumed it was because she had diarrhea and her bottom was sore from that. Other then when she was on the potty she seemed better. Not 100% better but better. Since she had perked up we had our own little Easter egg hunt. That was fun at least! 

Mailey enjoyed her first egg hunt and Makenna loved it too! 







Attempt #1 at getting a picture together, fail! 


 Blowing bubbles! 


Attempt # 2 = better-ish


After the egg hunt and naps, I took Makenna potty, she just had to pee this time. She started to go, immediately stopped and began to hysterically cry telling me that it hurt. I felt so awful that I blew her off earlier when she said it hurt to go potty. Poor baby! I had multiple UTI's (urinary tract infections) as a child and I knew right away what her pain was from. We ended our day in the emergency room and sure enough she had a UTI. They said that vomiting is common in young kids with a UTI and diarrhea can be the cause. As sad as I was for her, I was really happy she didn't have the flu.
Our day wasn't the magical day I had imagined. The girls didn't even get to wear their poofy pink dresses from Mitch. As I was thinking about the day I remembered that Easter isn't about the egg hunts, the poofy pink dresses, or my children not feeling well. It is celebrating the resurrection and the life of our Savior. Happy Easter! 

1 comments:

Danielle said...

I hear ya Reba! Spencer had a high fever Easter morning with a cough congestion yucky eyes and just looked miserable. She stayed home and I was so sad my girls couldn't wear their cute matching Easter dresses to church. But like you said I think that's what I needed to put the focus of Easter back where it belongs- the Savior. Your girls sure are cute!