Monday, October 18, 2010

Surgery Day

Today was surgery day for Makenna. Before the surgery, even though she was beyond hungry she was all smiles and flirted with everyone that would give her the time of day. I was expecting her to be mad, mad, mad because she couldn't eat but she did amazingly well. She slept the during the 2 hour car ride there which helped. We arrived early to the surgery center so we had a bit of a wait and she even did great with that. She made me a very proud Mama.
After waiting for quite sometime we got to go back with her into the induction (anesthesia) room until she was asleep. They gave her some-kind of gas through a mask to help her fall asleep. Once she was out we left the room. It wasn't until she was already asleep that they put her IV in and her trachea tube for breathing. It was apparent that at children's hospital this wasn't the first time they have needed to put a baby under general anesthesia. Her surgery was about 45 minutes or so. Her doctor came and told us that she did great during the surgery and that she was able to do the less invasive of the two types of surgeries for blocked tear ducts. Before she finished telling us about the surgery and what we should be expecting, the recovery nurse came to get us. Makenna was already starting to wake up. I thought watching her be put to sleep was hard enough, I had no idea what I would be expecting when we got to the recovery room. She was so upset and it just broke my heart to see my baby hurting. This has was by far the hardest thing I have had to do as parent to date. Makenna seemed so scared (as I would have been too). She we was crying so hard, her voice was raspy from the trachea tube and wasn't fully awake so she couldn't focus on the fact that Nick and I were with her again. She didn't start calming down until they gave her some more IV pain meds and she ate some food. By the time she was about to be discharged from recovery she was smiling and waving at her nurse but still wasn't quite my happy girl partially the drugs made her a little loopy and tired.
She slept the whole way home and has been in fairly good spirits this afternoon. Its hard to tell in the pictures but her face is a little swollen and she will most likely have two black eyes but she should be back to normal in a week or so. We feel so blessed that our heavenly father was watching over our sweet little angel today and everything went so well. We had a much better experience then we thought we would at the hospital today. Her Doctor was amazing, as well as the anesthesia team and her nurses. I'm so thankful that they were there to take such good care of our sweet little Makenna. Thank you for being such a brave, good girl today baby girl! I love you my sweet little Kenna Bug!

3 comments:

ericksonzone said...

I'm so glad that everything went so well. It is hard to see your little baby that way. Aren't they amazing at Children's?

Chantalle R. said...

I totally feel for you Reba! Jack will have to have surgery on his eye. He has a deformed muscle in his eyelid that will need to be fixed. We hope to wait until he is at least five but it has been getting worse. I am so not looking forward to the day and the days following his surgery. Thank you for the post.:) I needed to read it. Glad your precious little girl is doing good!

PaulaBuhrer said...

I'm so glad it all went well and you have that moment past you now. She sure is cute!