Sunday, December 13, 2009

Do I Look Pregnant Yet?

I am certainly feeling pregnant these days! 34 weeks down and only a few more to go. I can't believe I'm due NEXT month already! Other than being really tired and rather uncomfortable I have been feeling great! I'm still working my three 12 hour shifts at the hospital which has been getting much harder, but luckily I haven't had much to do on my days off so I can get some much needed R&R. As long as my Dr will let me I am planning on working until the end so I can spend my full maternity leave with our sweet baby girl but we'll have to see how things continue to go. As of my last Dr appointment, my blood pressure was great, and I have lost a total of 7 lbs during my pregnancy. You read that right ladies, and yes, its ok to hate me! I have not gained one pound over my pre-pregnancy weight in fact I have LOST weight. I actually lost 9 lbs and gained 2 so I'm still down 7 lbs. Maybe I should go on the pregnancy diet more often!
In preparation for the big day we have been working very hard getting the nursery ready. Her bedroom has basically been a really big storage space for us since we moved into our place in August so its been a feat to get it cleaned out. We still have a few things to get but we are just about ready. I will post pictures when the nursery is all finished! I have definitely been feeling the nesting bug lately. Her clothes are washed and some are hung up in her closet and now thanks to Nick's awesome assembling skills, she also has clothes in her dresser!
Not bad for a $180 Wal Mart special if you ask me!
I have been making a list of things that we still need for the nursery and I would love some in-put from all of my lovely readers. I want to know what are things that you;
1. Didn't think about or forgot to get before baby came?
2. You could NOT live without?
3. You could live without?
4. Any luxuries you recommend?
5. Any other advise for us first timers?
Can't wait to read your answers! Thanks for all of your help!

8 comments:

Chantalle R. said...

Hey Reba! I am so excited for you guys. The one thing I had that was pointless, (at least for me) was a wipe warmer. It just didn't do the job I thought it should. Try to take it easy during the holidays.

Jen said...

I'm so excited for you two! Some things we forgot to buy were an insert to put in the car seat so that baby's head won't wobble all over. On the drive home from the hospital with Emma I had to hold her head in place. Also burp cloths. We have found that the receiving blankets work great for that purpose because you can only swaddle the baby in them for a couple weeks. And a package of newborn diapers. Emma wore them for a week and Linnea wore them for almost 3 weeks. The size 1 diapers were too big right off.

We found that those mittens you can buy to put on baby's hands to keep them from scratching their face don't work. They just fall off. We also didn't and still don't have a changing table. It's $300 more that you'd spend when you can just change them in the crib or on the floor.

We read books that said a diaper stacker was a waste of money but I'm so glad I bought one because it keeps the diapers more organized.

And we also bought a full sized swing which wasn't necessary. For one they take up a lot of space and they cost a ton of money. We are going to get rid of our big swing and get a travel size swing instead. They have the same features as the big ones, are more compact and only cost about $40 which is half or more than half of what the big swings cost.

Sorry for the essay... I've got some opinions on baby products apparently. :)

Mommy said...

a backpack!! Wonderful for those grocery shopping trips where you need both hands free and then they can't touch the germy cart either :) I even rototilled the garden while Kaitlyn was in the backpack (she usually feel asleep too)

PaulaBuhrer said...

I'm very excited you are so close to the big day! This is kind of lame, but I went through 1.5 children with two sets of crib sheets but only one mattress cover. I finally bought the second mattress cover so that I could completely change out the sheets without doing laundry. Also, a nursing cover. I just used a blanked the first time around, but having something around your neck to keep everything in place is nice.

Megan Potter said...

Yeah! I'm so glad you have had a good pregnancy and CONGRATS! Make sure you know how to use and adjust your carseat before use:) Make sure you get...tylenol for the baby (just in case), desitin for diaper rashes, a rocking chair, good bottles ( I tried the playtex ones with liners and they were good but the liners are expensive to keep buying; I also don't like AVENT cause they leak sometimes; the best I can think of are the NUK bottles). Also if you are breast feeding, a breast pump is good to have if your baby wont eat when you want her too, or you ever wanna get some personal time away from her for more than a couple hours:)But I hear the manual pumps are way too much work, so if you can afford it go with a good electric one. binkys...a noise maker comes in handy so she doesn't hear all the noise you're making after she goes to bed or if someone will be sharing a room with her at any point...(and in case they snor...so she doesn't wake up). fingernail clippers...a GOOD thermometer...I'm sure you already have all this stuff cause your Nursery looks GREAT and you are so prepared!!! Good luck, oh, one more thing I couldn't live with out..the book, What to Expect the First Year, aka parenting guide!

Megan Potter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

reba I absolutely loove your blog! I want to start one, but it looks kinda complicated lol. One thing I could not live without, and still use ALL THE TIME is our Boppy Pillow, it was great for feeding as a newborn, he even would sleep on it, and now it's great to use while he's sitting up. One thing I didnt really use all that much was all of his newborn and 0-3 month clothes! My advice, if you havent already, is to leave the tags on half of them, that way you can exchange them for bigger sizes!! I also got a walker, which he hates, and now I hear your not supposed to use them anyway. Oh, and STOCK UP on burp rags!! enjoy your little one and take so many pictures, they get big in a blink of an eye :)

Unknown said...

ooh, I'm sorry I left something out! We had both a fullsized swing and a portable swing. I took the portable swing back after a couple dangerous scares with it. Make sure you read the reviews on those take-along swings if you plan on or already got one. For some reason they havent been recalled, but I personally think they are so dangerous. Braxton was belted into his and flipped forwards in it everytime I put him in it, which was only a couple times before I researched it and took it back. Another thing I could not live without is my video monitor by summer infant. Its amazing! Braxton didnt like his bassinet so he started sleeping in his crib very early, this wouldnt have been possible without that monitor!! It's so nerveracking! They're not cheap but I love it. lol sorry for the essay!!