Thursday, February 18, 2010

Valentines Day Weekend and Life with a new baby

We had a great Valentines day weekend. With a new baby we weren't planning anything at but last minute I thought a date night in would be fun. So on Saturday night we rented a movie and picked up dinner on our way home and had a nice quiet night at home together as a family.
This is what Makenna and I woke up to on Valentines day, Nick bought me the most beautiful flowers and Makenna a super cute stuffed giraffe. Nick got candy and cards from us girls. We are so lucky to have him!
Nick's mom found Makenna the cutest dress, and she wore it for the first time on Valentines day. She looked so pretty in it! She was getting hungry and having her picture taken wasn't as high on her priority list as it was mine. These pictures I took today. She had her eyes open and was happy so I had to get a few pictures!
I feel like things are going pretty darn good. Makenna has been sleeping pretty good at night. One night we got a six hour stretch of sleep which was awesome but I'm not counting on it happening again anytime soon. She usually sleeps 3-4 hours in between feedings at night which is much better than the 1.5 to 2 hours we got right in the beginning. The only problem that we have ran into is that Makenna has a super sensitive tummy which makes her upset and rightfully so. The past two days I have been eliminating everything with dairy products in it out of my diet to see if that helps her. So far it seems to be helping but I don't want to jinx things. Last Thursday she had her second weight check and weighed in at 7 lbs 6 oz. I'm sure she is closer to 8 lbs now. She changes everyday and its so fun to watch her grow. Yesterday I was asked "how is motherhood?" and I just simply replied "great!" What I wish I would have said, is that motherhood is everything its cracked up to be; it is emotionally and physically exhausting, it's hard and often stressful yet at the same time it is the most rewarding, enjoyable thing that a person can experience. I love being a Mom and I wouldn't change it for the world!

6 comments:

Katamaran said...

I'm so emotional but I cry every time I see her because I KNOW what it must mean for you to FINALLY have her :0) This post had me bawling like a ninny LOL she's so beautiful and perfect and lovely and all that is good. I love you Reba and I'm so overjoyed for you and Nick and this beautiful sweet babe :0) God is good!

Jen said...

Oh Reba! She's BEAUTIFUL! You've turned me into a bawling little girl too. :) Jacob and I are so excited for you and Nick. I'm glad to hear that your first experiences with motherhood are positive ones. Take care and I will look forward to more pictures and one of these days we will quit being LAME and make the 1 1/2 hour drive to see you guys. Sheesh! We are horrible.

Megan Davenport Cannon said...

She does look so pretty in that sweet little dress <3

Way to go with the sleeping, Makenna! Keep it up!

Ally said...

She is precious, Rebs! I can't wait to meet her :)

Danielle said...

Ohhhh Makenna looks so cute in that dress! Adorable!

Angela said...

I feel the exact same way about being a new mommy! It is so rewarding and I wouldn't change it for the world. Makenna's dress is adorable, by the way. :)